links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

rent / how much can i save

> ----- Original Message ----
> Sent: Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:29:38 AM
> Subject: Advice...
>
> Greetings Supa Dupa (sp?)!
>
> My name is M and I currently live in ... as
> a speech-language pathologist. I am also putting together
> my own show to host and am finishing up the trailer now. I
> will hopefully be able to send it out in a few weeks.
> Anywho, that's why I feel I don't want to be away
> for too long, but I do want to go away. I've traveled
> to many places and I'm excited to see what Korea is all
> about. So any advice you could give me would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!!
> ~M

> From: english teacher <i_teach_esl@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Advice...
> Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 3:33 AM

> hi m. most contracts for Korea jobs are for one year. im
> not familiar with the new visa laws, but im pretty sure
> that you can now do 3 month or 6 month contracts. you can
> talk to a recruiter for more details about it. if you have
> more specific questions, perhaps i can better help you.
=============================

Thanks!

I was wondering what is your spending like over there. Do you know how much rent would be (this is if I take the 6 month option)? How much on average do you spend on food/going out? Are you able to save money while you are over there? I realize these questions are subjective, but I just want to get an idea from someone living over there.

~MB

----- Original Message ----
From: english teacher
To: m
Sent: Monday, July 7, 2008 5:43:57 AM
Subject: Re: Advice...





Do you know how much rent would be (this is if I take the 6 month option)? i would guess that rent stays the same, despite the length of your contract. rent will depend on the type of place you live in, as well as where you live. all i can tell you is where i live: i live in pyeongchon, in anyang, around 45 min south of seoul and i pay 600 a month for an offictel.

http://wiki.galbijim.com/Finding_housing
look at the column to the left, it explains long and short term options for living in korea. also check http://www.expatkorea.com/bbs/ and http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/ they are very popular online forums for those those who live/work in korea. read the FAQs.

How much on average do you spend on food/going out? this also depends on where you live, and what you do when you go out, and what your lifestyle is. figure it the same as back home, only here, you make more money. well, i do, anyway.

Are you able to save money while you are over there? most people do. most save/send home/make a credit card payment, anywhere from 500 to 1,000 USD a month.
=================================================
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:48:35 AM
Subject: Re: Advice...
Thanks for all of your advice...I actually said yes to CDI's offer and am now waiting to see where they will put me. They offered me 2 choices, hourly (pay for my own apt) or monthly (they pay for my apt). I figured I'd do hourly (it's like what I do here in the states as an independent contractor) because I have potential to earn more money. I'm not able to leave until mid October so it may be a while before I know. I have so many more questions now that I'm actually going but I don't know if you'd be able to answer them. You've been there almost 2 years now? I only plan on staying a year. What did you end up doing with your cell phone, apt. (if you had one)? Is there a way to have access to your bank in America? What about your mail? Did you forward it or do you have a friend send it to you? Does the health insurance there offer the same prescriptions?? Sorry to bother you. You really are a big help to me!Thanks
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 2:44:03 PM
Subject: Re: Advice...
You've been there almost 2 years now? a year and a half

What did you end up doing with your cell phone i had only a couple months left on my contract. i called my cell phone and changed the plan to the cheapest possible. i paid the bill online and let the contract expire.

apt. (if you had one)? i rented, i didnt pay a mortgage. my roommate is still there in the apartment. my name is still on the lease. but i dont suggest doing this, call your landlord and ask about your options.

Is there a way to have access to your bank in America? yes.

http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2007/08/paying-bills-back-home.html
http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2000/01/bankingpaying-bills.html

What about your mail? Did you forward it or do you have a friend send it to you? i had all my mail changed to my parents adrs so that if anything urgent came up, they could let me know.

http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2006/10/send-mail-to-korea-cheap.html
http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2006/10/having-usa-address-while-living-abroad.html

Does the health insurance there offer the same prescriptions?? i work for cdi, and i dont have health insurance. but most jobs offer it, you would need to ask your school/recruiter. can i ask, what prescriptions are you looking to have filled?

i suggest reading
they are popular forums about living/working in korea, read the FAQ. ignore all the negative, it's mostly white people who have trouble not being in the majority/living without their white privilege they're used to having. if you want to know more about cdi, just type CDI using the search function. dont type more than that, it seems that if you use more than one word, the search function doesnt work.

No comments: