links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

should i work for cdi?

----- Original Message ----
From: Jacob
To: i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 10:52:17 AM
Subject: Hello, And A Question About CDI

So, not too long ago, I was trawling jobs on Monster.com and getting exceptionally frustrated with my luck getting a "Real Job" here in the states. So when I saw the ad for CDI, I applied largely as a lark, I thought they wouldn't get back to me, like almost every other place i'd applied.Then they did.

So far, i'm all the way along to the Essay part of the application process, but my research about CDI has left me wondering a great deal about working there. First and foremost, I'd be working for the CDI, but another group, Aclipse, were the ones who hired me specifically. I'm still questioning them as much as I can, but i'm wondering if you know any questions that I should ask of them before I get in over my head.

From the research i've done, I've heard a lot that is both here and there about CDI. Some people have reported positive experiences but the information i've found seems to be 2-3 years old. Some (like your blog) wouldn't recommend the experience at CDI to others. So i'm trying to find knowledgeable people I can talk to who can give me the best advice I can find.

Like I said, I know you already said in your blog that you wouldn't recommend the experience to others, and that you have plenty of gripes about your time at CDI. That I understand. As a 25-year old African American however, CDI does almost sound too good to be true. The hours seem eminently workable, it'd be a chance to experience something new, and it sure beats another 6-10 months making $8.75 at Starbucks. Plus, CDI is the only place that is actually taking me through the application process.

But, hearing that you work 365 days a year (essentially), that you get seven days to yourself all year, that the workload can be overwhelming (I have no trouble with it being structured) are a bit disheartening. I guess i'd like an opinion from someone who has been there already before I go ahead and take the plunge.
\==========================
----- Original Message ----
From: english teacher i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
To: Jacob
Sent: Wednesday, July 2, 2008 2:01:29 PM
Subject: Re: Hello, And A Question About CDI

hi jacob.

First and foremost, I'd be working for the CDI, but another group, Aclipse, were the ones who hired me specifically. I'm still questioning them as much as I can, but i'm wondering if you know any questions that I should ask of them it sounds like they are the middle man, the recruiters? i dont know if there's any specific you should ask them that you couldnt ask of cdi directly. maybe try to find out where you'll be in korea if you can. i dont know if this is something cdi tells you ahead of time. when i came, i had no requests for placement, i todl them to put me anywhere. if Aclipse are NOT the recruiters, then im not sure what situation this is.

From the research i've done, I've heard a lot that is both here and there about CDI. Some people have reported positive experiences but the information i've found seems to be 2-3 years old. Some (like your blog) wouldn't recommend the experience at CDI to others. hmmm... well when i say i dont recommend cdi, it means that i dont think cdi is the BEST job, b/c to be fair, ive not had other korea jobs to compare it to. my position on cdi is offically neutral, tho i am happy overall with my job.

So i'm trying to find knowledgeable people I can talk to who can give me the best advice I can find.
search here http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/
and here http://expatkorea.com/bbs/
and use the search box, just type cdi.
if you type more than one word, the search function doesnt seem to work well. but when you read through, keep in mind that much of what you may read will be from young white people. they are spoiled, perhaps fresh out of college and never worked a real job, never been away from home, never had to be out of the majority.


As a 25-year old African American however, CDI does almost sound too good to be true. The hours seem eminently workable, it'd be a chance to experience something new, and it sure beats another 6-10 months making $8.75 at Starbucks. i thought so too, and all came to be true when i arrived, once i got adjusted. i work 6 hours a day and make plenty of money to pay the bills, which ive never been able to do before.

But, hearing that you work 365 days a year (essentially), we now get christmas day off (just the one day), one day for cheosok, and one day for sol na new year. but yes, cdi is open every other day and if youre scheduled to work, you work.

that you get seven days to yourself all year, yes, upaid. :)

that the workload can be overwhelming (I have no trouble with it being structured) then maybe cdi will suit you fine. the workload depends onthe type of classes you teach, and the type of teacher you are.

I guess i'd like an opinion from someone who has been there already before I go ahead and take the plunge. :) well again, im neutral, im not comfortable telling someone they should definitly choose cdi. but i do encourage coming to korea. going abroad is a wonderful experience that all who have the opporunity should take advantage of. but you can search the esl forums and the esl groups to find others who work for cdi who maybe can give you the "yes" or "no" youre looking for. but be sure you talk to people who actually work there. most who say "avoid cdi" have only heard of the company, or maybe just went through part of training, but never actually got in the classroom.

should you have any other questions, be free to email me anytime.

No comments: