links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Wednesday, January 05, 2000

housing/public trans/meds

Sent: Thursday, May 3, 2007 2:27:28 AM
Subject: Re: insights for teaching at CDI?

Thanks for your quick response! Training seems straightforward enough. What are the other teaching-related resources that are available for teachers? What are the teaching materials like? (I know that Amity makes their own books and will sometimes supplement their own materials with books from outside sources.. and I am curious as to what CDI's materials are like..)
Do teachers generally do their prep at the school or at home?

Another question about housing.. what is the average apartment like? Since you used the CDI realtor, how close are the apartments/officetels from your school?

What's public transit like?

What's it like after work?

I guess this is sort of related, but did you bring a computer from home? I know that relatively inexpensive computer/internet access can be had at internet-cafe-type locations.. but i'm curious as to the amount of space in an apartment (for a desktop or laptop), electricity/power, and if it'd even be worth it.

And, since I saw your last post on meds.. one of the reasons that I'm hesitant to go to Japan is because the Japanese government greatly restricts the amount of medications (I'm mostly concerned with vitamins.. and OTC stuff like midol) that I could bring into the country or have sent to me. I was wondering if you were aware of any similar restrictions in Korea.

That's about it for now.. but I'll definitely let you know if I have any more questions! I love your blog (your first one.. i haven't yet had a chance to look at your other one about being in Korea) by the way. It's super useful in thinking about how to prepare for leaving Cali :) I look forward to living and teaching in abroad. I'm relatively new to traveling (only the US and Canada..) so I really appreciate all of your help.

Best,XXX
==============================

Sent: Sunday, May 6, 2007 5:46:06 PM
Subject: Re: insights for teaching at CDI?

yes, the training is straightforward. i like it, i feel like my kids are really learning something. as for other teaching resources available... im not sure what you mean. you mean what else does cdi use besides their books? i cant remember if it was you or someone else, but with cdi, if you want to do something outside of the existing curriculium, you simply speak to your HI (head instructor) about it. the structure is supposed to be followed, but if one has other ideas, cdi has the reputation of listening to it, and incorporating it if it's successful. as for more details of what cdi curriculum is like, im not sure i can say. they're very protective of their material and i dont wnt to give any info im not supposed to. you'll see soon enough, tho.

it looks like teachers mostly prep AT school. it depends on how you teach/type of teacher you are as to how long it takes, but it's not so much that you take work home with you. at most, i come in two hours early to prep. it really only takes 20-30 min, but i sit on the computer the rest of the time (i dont have a computer, and use the local internet cafes). very occasionally i'll come in on my day off, only to xerox things, the work is not much.

for housing: it depends on where you live. my area is pricey, and i live in an officetel, which makes it pricier. my rent is 600USD a month. my place is very close to my school. it's one subway stop away,but it's an easy 15 min walk, so i do that.

public transit is fan-friggin-tastic. you dont need a car here, the subway can get you anywhere. taxis are everywhere as well, if you want to get somewhere in a hurry. this differs according to region i would bet, perhaps i can answer more clearly when you can tell me WHERE you'll be. if it's a cdi main branch, then you're fine, all of them are in seoul and the subway is the way to go.

life after work: coworkers hit up bars or restaurant or clubs. im a homebody myself, when i get off work i like to just go home and chill.

i did NOT bring a computer from home. i wish i couldve, it wouldve been nice to have all my music with me, or be able to play dvds, etc. you can check
dave's and go to the technology forum, i am sure there's a post about it. as for space: it'll depend on how big your place is. but i tihnk anyone can make room for a laptop, or even a desktop, we all use it daily these days, no place is THAT small. well no i guess it depends on how you define small. i thought my place would be tiny, but it's pretty big and i love it.

restrictions on meds: i dont know. i would suggest you check
daves or wiki-galbijim. if i find out any info, i will for sure email you and pass it on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I love your blog!

I am a sista who will be moving to Gwangmyung, Korea to teach at
kids english village baeum.

You blog has been very informative
I am moving from NC/VA.

I do have some questions for you,
I love to cook and a have some great things like a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, toaster oven that I want to bring. Also I love books and I have tons that want to send. In fact I have a few other small personal things along with clothes that want to send as well.
Am I crazy for wanting to send all this stuff? I just hate to re buy things I already have.

Thanks
EbonyTarheel

supa dupa fly said...

answered here: http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2000/01/cell-phonepersonal-goodsdating.html