links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

what are your feelings towards what is going on with N. Korea right now?

To: i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2009 3:43:53 AM
Subject: Questions about teaching in S. Korea

I gathered from your blog that you have taught in Busan and Seoul. I have many questions for you. However, I guess I'll start here: What are the main differences between Busan and Seoul? Which do you recommend to a first time ESL teacher coming to S. Korea?
I have narrowed my choices down to those two cities and you input would be greatly appreciated. I have lived in California all my life. 17 years in northern Cali and about 6 years in southern Cali. I have also lived for three months in DC and one year in southern Spain. I do not know any Korean so I am looking for a city that will definitely have a lot of other foreigners.
Also, what are your feelings towards what is going on with N. Korea right now? How are other ESL teachers in Seoul feeling right now? Do you think it is something to be worried about?
Also, I have some experience teaching esl (I did it is Spain). I am thinking of getting a TEFL certification. Do you think this will help in terms of pay? Or do they normally start every one with the same pay? Because of the exchange rate, has there been a decrease in the number of teachers coming to S Korea this year?
My last question is how long it took you to really feel comfortable/settles living in S. Korea? I was reading your blog and noticed that you did go through some hard times. Which I understand to an extent because I went through some hard times in Spain as well. I am expecting the same will happen when I go to S. Korea too.
---------------------------------------
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:54:37 PM
Subject: Questions about teaching in S. Korea

I gathered from your blog that you have taught in Busan and Seoul. no, ive taught in anyang (pyeongchon) and jamsil (seoul).
What are the main differences between Busan and Seoul?i dotn konw. are you on facebook? a few brothers and sister live there, maybe you can msg them for 1st hand experience. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

I do not know any Korean start learning the korean alphabet. many signs are written in "konglish," like ifyou want to order food, you can probably read ham-burh-guh, or chick-en. also , start learning some korean foods, go to a restaurant in your area if you can.
Also, what are your feelings towards what is going on with N. Korea right now? ive none.
How are other ESL teachers in Seoul feeling right now? Do you think it is something to be worried about?i dont know a single person who is worried. but check facebook, tho.
I am thinking of getting a TEFL certification. Do you think this will help in terms of pay? this will depend on teh school that hires you. some schools dont offer extra for certification.

Because of the exchange rate, has there been a decrease in the number of teachers coming to S Korea this year?id otn know, i dont track teh numbers.
My last question is how long it took you to really feel comfortable/settles living in S. Korea? maybe 6 months or so. some get here and adjust right away: having like-minded friends is key. check the group page to see who lives in teh area you'll be in. look up terah young, she just got ot korea and she's having a blast. also check maya papaya, also new, also enjoying it.

No comments: