links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

cdi training

Jun 14, 2007 6:04 PM
Hey I noticed that you work for CDI. Thank you so much for writing about your experiences on teaching ESL in Korea! I wanted to tell you that I really love your blog! I went and read your other blog and I am sooo happy that I found it! You have such good information about Korea and your teaching experiences with CDI.

I was wondering if you could go more into detail about the training that you received at CDI. I recently applied with them and reading about your training experiences is getting me a bit worried. Can you tell me more about your experiences with the grammar test and the mock presentations that you had to do? It sounds like you had to do a lot of work! Your input on the grammar test and the mock presentations would be greatly appreciated!!

From what I read on your blog, you take the grammar test on the 2nd day of training and you do the mock teaching based off of the teaching plan that you have to make up, right? I’m so scared that I will end up failing the tests and the mock teaching and be stranded in Korea without a job. That would be horrible.

Also, I noticed that you made lists of things that you were going to take to Korea such as stickers and stamps, etc. Do you have any suggestions on what I should bring to Korea with me? Thank you and I really look forward to your response and feedback!

i dont know how much detail im allowed to get into about training. i think it's ok to say that cdi classes are three hours long; the training goes over in detail how/what to teach each hour, depending on the type of classes youre teching. the training was long and got boring and draining many times. as far as i know, no one fails training. if you do really crappy, they ask you to stay and train for a few more days. same for the grammar test: if you dont pass the first time, you take the test a second time. if you fail the second time, you do a one on one session with someone about grammar rules. i am not at all 100% sure, but again i dont think that anyone fails the training. they just keep working with you until they think youre ready.

From what I read on your blog, you take the grammar test on the 2nd day of training and you do the mock teaching based off of the teaching plan that you have to make up, right? the lesson plan is made, what you'd do is get familiar with it and teach it. very intimidating at first, but once you get the hang of it, you aiight. the grammar is on day two i think youre right. but if you fail (i think over 60% do the first time) you have opportunity to take it again.

Also, I noticed that you made lists of things that you were going to take to Korea such as stickers and stamps, etc. Do you have any suggestions on what I should bring to Korea with me? you know, i dont think i brought a single thing with me from that list. :) i'll have to update. im glad i didnt bring anything for the kids, actually. instead of giving fun presents, i try to make the class fun instead.

some teachers have boundry issues with their students, and it gets worse and worse over the term when youre too nice to a student and overlook any possible issues with discipline. i adore my students, i think they're all geniuses, but when one uses korean in class, or talks out of turn, or isnt working, isnt paying attention, playing with their cellphone: i adrs it. you have to. dont let things go, kids are smart and they'll keep on inching otherwise. but i also dont hold resentment towards the student. after their punishment, i call on them for the next answer to a question when i know they've got the answer right. thus instead of presents, i give praise. well... this is all how it's supposed to work. i think im a great teacher, i cant say my bosses feel the same about me :) more questions, ask away! ~Fly Seoul Sista

No comments: