links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

what is cdi like

Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 5:24:22 AM
Subject: Question about Teaching with CDI in Korea

Hi! My name is T and I love your blog. It actually encouraged me a lot despite all the negative comments I read on Dave's ESL Forum about being black and living/working in Korea. hi t. thank you, expat jane's interview did the same for me. read/listen here.

I am actually going through EO Recruiting company. I don't know if you have ever heard of them, but I have my first phone interview with them this Friday, and if successful, I will have the follow up interview with an HR representative from CDI. I was just wondering, first, if you have any tips for the interview process. I am applying for it from overseas and I've read about the things you may or may not have to do. no specific advice. be yourself. dont curse.

Second, I know it's not required but I don't have any teaching experience. I used to volunteer teaching English to the international students at my University but that is as far as it goes. definitely mention that in your interview.

Are there a lot of teachers over there who have little to no teaching experience? yes, many.

I was wondering how successful they were. everyone varies. it does seem that those w/more experience do better, but i think that's b/c of experience dealing w/children and classroom setting.

I am actually pretty confident in my abilities to learn and become and good teacher for the students. I have been very excited about teaching English overseas. At first I wanted to go to Japan because I speak the language and lived there for 5 years. I love it over there but I wanted to try something new. sounds good to me. japan is only a two hour plane ride away.

I also study Korean during my free-time and really want to learn more about the culture, despite all the things I've heard about race and so on. It's not just Korea but a lot of Asia that is xenophobic and don't really like foreigners, in general. Anyways, I'm talking about the things you already know of I'm sure ^_^ By the way, are you still living in Korea? yes, just renewed my contract, i'll be here for another year at least until feb 2009.

Most of the entries I found in the blog were quite some time ago. Well at least in 2007. Do you still work for CDI and is it still good according to your standards? there are good things. ive never been paid late. once you learn the class structure, teaching there can be easy. i have a lot of issues w/my job and w/the company, of course, but none so bad that it made me want to quit. overall, i am happy there, but it's because i love the kids, and now after being there a year, teaching the classes are much smoother and i have a lot of fun at work. but dont take just my word for it. a pretty good discussion about it on eslcafe here.

I've also heard some negative things about it recently but it won't discourage me from applying and trying to work there. I've already been turned down from a few teaching eikaiwas in Japan but I won't give up. japan turned me down a few times too. meh.

I've dec ided I really want to pursue a job in Korea just because it is a new experience and it would be a challenge for me. Anyways, I appreciate your blog very much and it was really inspiring. A lot of helpful information was on there. Sorry for writing you a novel...haha Hope all is well and once again, thank you! aint nothing. hit me up anytime. and pls check out others here in korea, check their blogs here.

No comments: