links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

working in gyeonggi-do / only foriegner in the school

Posted: Jul 16, 2008 1:36 PM
Hello All,I just recently receive a contract through a recruiting agency for a public school in the providence of Gyeonggi. The school they want to send me to is Geumpa Elementary School.

My concerns are that the school is located a distance away from Seoul and the recruiter mention that I would be the only foreign teacher. The school assured me that I would have a co-teacher (korean), but Im still skeptical. Plus I want to have my airfare paid in advance instead of the reimbursement offer.

Another concern was that the school mentioned that the housing was an actual house where I would have a room. This was the deal breaker. I wouldnt feel comfortable in that situation.

The recruiter was very open with the hesitance of schools to hire african americans and that there wasnt many offers coming through. I am still waiting on to more applications that I put in with SMOE and EPIK.

Im concerned that Im being too picky in my decison. Also if I wait to see the out comes of the other two applications and then nothing comes through.So my questions are

1) Does anyone live in the Gyeonggi providence, and what is your take on the area.
2) Has anyone worked at Geumpa Elementary School.
3) Should I wait on the results of the SMOE and EPIK applications
4) If you have worked with either the SMOE and EPIK, what was your experience.
5) any other advise or concerns you may have
=================


**concerns are that the school is located a distance away from Seoul
  • ~true, but seoul is a subway ride away. what subway stop is the school by?

**the recruiter mention that I would be the only foreign teacher. The school assured me that I would have a co-teacher (korean), but Im still skeptical.

  • ~this is common for public school jobs, to be the only foreigner and work with a korean co-teacher.

**Plus I want to have my airfare paid in advance instead of the reimbursement offer.

  • ~this is common as well, getting reimbursed instead of them paying upfront. tho jobs are to be had otherwise, but dont be too worried if a school offers reimbursement instead of paying first.

**Another concern was that the school mentioned that the housing was an actual house where I would have a room. This was the deal breaker. I wouldnt feel comfortable in that situation.

  • ~yeah, that sounds weird. i guess it could be homey, but i would need my own space.


**The recruiter was very open with the hesitance of schools to hire african americans and that there wasnt many offers coming through.

  • ~tru, but it doesnt mean you should settle. just like being black at home, it's easier to get hired if you're white, but tahts not a job you'd want anyway. the right job will come with time.

**I am still waiting on to more applications that I put in with SMOE and EPIK. Im concerned that Im being too picky in my decison. Also if I wait to see the out comes of the other two applications and then nothing comes through.

  • ~youre not being too picky. you want the right job, you deserve it.

**does anyone live in the Gyeonggi providence, and what is your take on the area.

  • ~it depends where specifically you'll be in gyeonggi-do. anyang is supposed to be a pretty happening area, beomgye station always has a lot of people around, pyeongchon is fairly peaceful, etc.

2) Has anyone worked at Geumpa Elementary School.

  • ~not i.

3) Should I wait on the results of the SMOE and EPIK applications

  • ~yes. these are both public school jobs, esl jobs are everywhere always.

4) If you have worked with either the SMOE and EPIK, what was your experience.

  • ~i work for a hogwan, i've no experience w/public school.

No comments: