links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

me trying to meet people

Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007
i_teach_esl wrote:
hi, are you a real person? i saw your email on the "black in korea"yahoo group. im new to korea, in seoul, and looking for some brothasand sistas to connect with. my email is
i_teach_esl@yahoo.com.

=============================
----- Original Message ----
From: Justin
To: i_teach_esli_teach_esl@yahoo.com>
ent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:29:13 AM
Subject: Re: blk in korea

I am real as they can be, but I am not in Korea. I am in Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Whats your name? I am Justin. I am originally from Nova Scotia, Canada. Yes, there are Black folk there. lol :-) Are you from the US?

I have been going to Asia for a few years now and Korea is one place I will never go. I have had nothing but problems with Koreas here in Canada and also other places. I have had some friends who tried getting work in Korea, but they found it hard not to impossible.

Try China, it is a bit more kinder to us black folk ,color less of a problem, but you ain't going to make any big money there. Most Chinese outside othe major cities won't see your color, but only see green all foringers are rich.. All the big money places, Taiwan, Korea, and Japan want goofy white guys.. Hahaha. Sorry to disappoint, but this is how it is. Still a few Black folks I meet manage to get work, but these are exceptional individuals. You are better enough try to get your own little hussle going. This is what our brothers from Africa do.

My friend from Michigan did some teaching in Korea recently, he had a bad experiance, he can give you the low down. his email is ..... tell him Justin sent you.

Add me to yahoo chat and we can talk
Let me know more about you and your background. I can hopefully steer you in the right direction. I got 6 years of travel experiance in Asia, I have seen it all.

I am off to China in a few weeks, maybe we could meet and talk. I am always happy to connect brothers and sistas, we all in the same struggle.

Where you from originally?

==========================

english teacher wrote:
hi justin, i do have messenger, but not used it lately, i dont have a computer yet, i go to the pc bangs. yahoo: i_teach_esl. please shoot me an IM the second you see me, so i can add you.

im from the US, southern california, san diego. i'll be 31 yrs old next month. i graduated from san diego state university, and got a BA in fine arts, a second BA in africana studies, and i minored in english. i was working in social services full time and substitute teaching part time back home in daygo. i hated my jobs, had no ties, and decided to try something different.

yes, i've heard the negative about descrimination and racism in korea, but chucked it all and decided to come anyway. my job search was not easy, but im satisfied with my employer thus far; i've only been in seoul for a week now, and my contract is for one year. i took a job as an english teacher.

china does sound interesting; for sure korea is not the only place on my list to work in my lifetime; i do hope to get to other parts of asia, and when savings is enough, spend some time teaching in africa.

thanks so much for replying to my email. maybe you'll change your mind one day about korea and come for a visit. i hope that i'll be seasoned enough by then to be a good host to you, brotha. =============================
----- Original Message ----
From: Justin
To: english teacher i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 1:24:21 PM
Subject: Re: blk in korea

Your background sounds interesting, especially your background in Africania studies.

I found your picture on your blog. You is real cute. :-) Let me know if you got the Korean boys chasing you. Are you single?

When you got a vacation come to HK and I will take you into China and show you what is up. I got my mind set on Africa too but I will have to wait until a conference comes up.

Here is my bio:

I am a writer and currently doing my masters degree in education. I am hoping to do a PhD in the USA in the fall. I often travel to conferences and talk about the collective/individual achievements and experiances of Blacks throughout the African Diaspora. I went to Trinidad recently where I gave a talk on my book. I will send you the link shortly.

Maybe you got lucky with the job. Women find it easier than men. I recommend you have a back up plan and something else lined up. Things change fast in the ESL business, schools don't honor contracts and Koreans are famous for not paying (I can speak from experiance haha :-) Think about how you can survive.

It seems you came to a dead end back home. Must be very frustrating. I am experiancing the same thing here in Canada. I can only get the lowest of jobs, flipping burgers and cleaning toliets, literally. We all strive for something better. I have noticed that the US is a bit of a funny place, in terms of oppourtunity. Lots of it if you find the right people, but if not, it is out of reach .
===========================
english teacher i_teach_esl@yahoo.com wrote:

i'se real cute? thank you! :) no korean boys chasing me just yet... should they do come, i wave my ring and i'll be ok, b/c im married. :)

=============================
----- Original Message ----
From: Justin
To: english teacher i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:34:06 AM
Subject: Re: blk in korea
Hi!

I didn't know your married. You look young, so I assumed not hahaha. I am 26 and perhaps have a few years to go.

How long you been married? children?

No wife for me yet. I have an oppourtunity to marry a Chinese woman -- but her parents reject me (you know why) and she is the oldest in her family (no brothers), she is oglibated to care for her parents. This adds more pressure.
I could marry a Black woman as there are lots of them around or find something similar and not have his stress. I am not sure what I want to do... This Chinese woman has stolen my heart.

No webspace, I didn't notice your picture on the website, I will send u mine soon.
=============================
english teacher wrote:
hi justin. thank you for saying i look young! i was rolling with a youth bus pass in san diego all the way up to age 28 :) ive been married a year and a half. no kids, love them, but dont want them. im sorry about your old girlfriend, but someone else will come, the right person, who will stand up to her family, or hopefully, have a family that is more open. my husband is ethiopian, my mother loves him, except for his height (he's 5' 2", and im 5'3")!

===========================
----- Original Message ----
From: Justin
To: english teacher i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:06:30 AM
Subject: Re: blk in korea
How is your job coming along?

Wow I guess all of us are relatively short. I am about 5 ft 6. Tallness is not common in my family. Bad genes hehe


The Chinese woman is a special friend/companion, we still keep in touch and talk all the time and I often go see her. We have reached a bit of a bump -- but she said she is willing to come with me provided I have a job. But, I can't find a descent job!!! :-( So I have turned to small business selling books and I am doing very well. Easier to support her in China, it is possible to live like a king there if you have an income from another country. I think her mother will warm up.


============================
english teacher wrote:
hi justin. i had my first day of actual teaching on monday, it went great. the kids were very well behaved, tho we'll see if that changes as the term progresses, but i think it'll be ok b/c i put down the iron fist.do you want to stay in china? you love her that much? that is sweet. its only been two weeks and i really really miss male company already. jeez.
==============================

----- Original Message ----
From: Justin
To: english teacher i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 7:09:27 AM
Subject: Re: blk in korea

She is my sweety. Not really sure if I want to stay in China -- she wants to come to Canada, but Canada does not offer much of a life or oppourtunity.. As long as my income my businesses flows in, I can live like a KING in china with my future wife along with a maid, driver, etc... She has expressed some concerns over whether Chinese would accept a Black child. Lots of African brothers have married Chinese women and they seem to be doing dine.

This time around I am going to stay in China at least until Jan 2008. By that time, I will be admitted to a PhD program.

2 weeks and you miss male company? already How do you think us guys feel after one day?

No comments: