links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

how do i get started

Subject: RE: Advice :)
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 09:57:16 -0400
Hi i_teach_esl,

Thanks again for writing your blog it is very informative and very entertaining. Not sure if you remember me or not but I sent you several emails about my near future plans to teach in S. Korea.

I thank you again for being very helpful and honest in all of your emails. I have do however I have a few more questions to ask. I have yet to start applying for jobs. . .

1. being I am a few credits from getting my bachelors degree
2. I have yet to find a language school that I would feel comfortable with getting TELF certified through
3. I don't know where to start. . . it is a bit overwhelming to me.

I would love to leave in august of this year and leave in Seoul or somewhere very near ( I love big cities), so what are your thoughts? what should be my next plan of action? where should I start looking in terms of TEFL training. I have looked on Dave's however it seems that every school that I find has some really bad rep on the forum and I would hate to loose money on some scam. Also I taking some CLEPs to get my degree as soon as possible should I start applying now? I am lost :(
===============================

I have yet to start applying for jobs. . . 1. being I am a few credits from getting my bachelors degree if you want to start now, you can let the school you're applying to know that you've not yet graduated, it shouldn't be a problem. so long as you've got the degree by the time you start teaching, i think it should be fine.

2. I have yet to find a language school that I would feel comfortable with getting TELF certified through you do not need any teaching certification for korea. unless you plan on teaching as your life career, i would suggest you skip this. it may help with negotiating salary, but maybe just spend a couple of months volunteering at a school somewhere. im only guessing, but i would imagine putting this real life experience on your resume would help you negotiate as well.

3. I don't know where to start. . . it is a bit overwhelming to me. I would love to leave in august of this year and leave in Seoul or somewhere very near ( I love big cities), so what are your thoughts? what should be my next plan of action? i know that many are against it, but perhaps use a recruiter. tell the recruiter exactly what youre looking for, and let them do the search. if they are reputable, they wont ask for any fees, nor your original anything (degree, passport, etc). i used cindy park at good english first (goodenglish1st@gmail.com). she did alright by me.

i think the biggest problems people have with recruiters is that we can be too specific on our job search. be a tad flexible, ask direct questions, and if you dont like the answers, it's not the end of the world. i read a lot of "my recruiter lied to me!" but really, what was this persons attitude with the recruiter in the first place? if you go in negative, you'll get negative.

where should I start looking in terms of TEFL training. if youre not planning on teaching esl as a career, maybe skip this altogether. you can go back and do it at a later time if you want to.

I have looked on Dave's however it seems that every school that I find has some really bad rep on the forum and I would hate to loose money on some scam. Also I taking some CLEPs to get my degree as soon as possible should I start applying now? I am lost :( it can be very overwhelming, yes. just start getting your paperwork in order, and keep on. daves is a great website, but ignore all the negative, really. if you look for flaws long enough, you will always ALWAYS find them. and take into account that the negative you're hearing are from people from who knows where and only god knows what they know. these white males, having lived their lives in a privileged majority, experience hardship as a minority for the first time, and all hell breaks loose. just find a school that looks ok to you, browse (maybe dont bother to actually ask, you'll get so many jackass replies) browse daves or do a google search for the name and location of the school and see if there's any info on it. unless there are glaring red flags, im sure it'll be fine. ie: ive read nothing but horror stories about wonderland. i have a coworker who used to work for them, and she loved it there. it all depends on the location and the boss, each school is different. of course we will always hear more about the negative experiences more than the bad.

No comments: