links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

cost of living/ dentist

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 11:34:52 PM
Subject: Questions bout Korea

Hi Supa Dupa!

Love your blog. I'm researching jobs right now and my first 2
interviews are set up for tomorrow. I have 2 lined up with the
recruiters you used. Thanks so much btw for all the useful info. I'm
choosing South Korea purely to save some cash. They offer a heck of
alot more than other countries. Are you able to save much of it?
What's the cost of living like? I don't go out much, dont drink and am
pretty frugal. I don't plan on having much of a life there. My only
goal is to get some experience and save some cash. How realistic is
that with a 2.2 mill KRW salary?

Healthcare: Have you been to a dentist? I have to get my wisdom teeth
removed. I'm in Nairobi Kenya now and they're gonna charge around
$1,500. I figure I should research costs and safety in Korea. Most
people would automatically think anywhere is safer than an African
country but on the contrary, my doctor is a Harvard med graduate. If
you haven't been to one, whats your general impression? Know of any
locals afraid to go to the hospital? :)

Anyway, I'm sure your bombarded with questions like mine. Just really
good to know I wont be the only black person in all of South Korea.

Take Care and thanks soooo very much for you blog!
==========================

----- Original Message ----
From: english teacher
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:09:04 PM
Subject: Re: Questions bout Korea

I'm researching jobs right now and my first 2
interviews are set up for tomorrow. i hope your interviews went well :)
I'm choosing South Korea purely to save some cash. They offer a heck of
alot more than other countries. Are you able to save much of it? not personally, but most people do. most use the extra income to make credit card or student loan payments. anywhere from $500 to 1,000.00 USD per month.

What's the cost of living like? I don't go out much, dont drink and am
pretty frugal. How realistic is
that with a 2.2 mill KRW salary? i dont think anybody could NOT make it on 2.2 per month. how much you spend depends on what area you live in, and what kind of housing you have. there are villas, apartments, and officetels. Officetels are the most expensive. With villas, apartments, and houses, you have to buy your washing machine, refrigerator, and oven/stove, whereas with an officetel, they come with the apartment. My homeboy lives in a villa and pays 450$month. i live in an officetel, i pay 600$.

i suggest reading
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/
and
http://expatkorea.com/bbs/

they are popular forums about living/working in korea, read the FAQ. ignore all the negative, it's mostly white people who have trouble not being in the majority/living without their white privilege they're used to having. if you want to know more about cdi, just type CDI using the search function. dont type more than that, it seems that if you use more than one word, the search function doesnt work.

Healthcare: Have you been to a dentist? If
you haven't been to one, whats your general impression? no, ive not been. but you can find them, asking at your school or looking online at the expat forums. you will likely get health insurance with your job, probably will help with the cost. i cant say how much... i have no idea. ask on the forums if others have been to the dentist and how much it cost them.
if you've other questions, email me anytime.

No comments: