links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

this BROTHA is graduating from YALE, holla!!!!

Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2009 12:08:30 AM
Subject: Question about CDI

HI,

I am currently going through the final stages of the interview process with CDI, and I came across your blog while looking for reviews of the company. You are one of the few people who actually praise CDI, and overall your site is helpful to anyone who will be moving to South Korea ; especially for us African Americans. Since your blog covered my general questions I just want to ask specific questions pertaining to employment at CDI and choosing your pay.

In most of the reviews I hear CDI makes people work long hours, but the informational worksheets says you either work 9-3 or 4-10, which is not long at all. Is this true or is it closer to a 9-5 job?

I know working for CDI you have less vacation time, but does it leave anytime for exploration of the city or visiting other places on while you are there? In addition, how are you treated in the workplace? I know there were some things you said you did not like about CDI, but could not talk about on your blog. Could you tell me what those are?

Also, my recruiter (Aclipse) has told me I’m eligible for the Master Program pay, which will range from $30-$40 per hour. That would possibly mean up to $47,000-$57,000 a year. But, in your opinion, doesn’t the amount you spend on rent, utilities, cell phone, food, and transportation reduce you back to the original $27,000 a year salary? Or do you make so much working hourly that living expenses are not an issue when it comes to saving money?

If you could answer those for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I’m trying to make an informed decision about what I want to do after graduation, and I don’t want to go into anything blind.

Thank you for you time,

B.......

Yale University

========================

Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:21:10 PM
Subject: Re: Question about CDI

HI, hi brian.

You are one of the few people who actually praise CDI,hmm...i wouldnt say i "praise" it, but i do like my job very much. i wouldnt recommend cdi to anyone, different strokes. im 33, older than the average teacher, and i have had a string of shitty jobs, therefore really appreciate this one. most teachers are fresh out of college, have no experience with children or teaching, think everything is unfair, etc. I love my job: but it's jsut that to me, a job. its not my life. if things dont go well at work, it doesnt ruin the rest of my day.

In most of the reviews I hear CDI makes people work long hours, but the informational worksheets says you either work 9-3 or 4-10, which is not long at all. Is this true or is it closer to a 9-5 job?majority of classes are 4pm to 10pm.i get to work at 3:40, and leave at 10:15 or so, b/c i be sitting around at bullshittin. sometimes there are manadatory meetings/workshops that arent compensated for, but they are few and usually only in week 1,2, and 13. CDI runs classes in terms of 13 weeks at a time.

I know working for CDI you have less vacation time, but does it leave anytime for exploration of the city or visiting other places on while you are there? yeah, we dont work until 4pm, you can get up and do city stuff in the morning/early afternoon. also, you can request to work 4 days a week so that you can do more on your off days. also, cdi has classes canceled once every term b/c the students take exams in middle school. depending on the type of classes you teach, you may have half days or whole days canceled, and perhaps plan your holidays then as well. you dont work, therefore arent paid for this time off, but cases such as these are few and no one i know is living poor b/c of it.

In addition, how are you treated in the workplace? im treated fine. i dont like some of my coworkers, but it's my issue b/c in general i dont like white people. its important to hav ea social life and friends, of course, but i seek that with other black people, not my coworkers. the korean staff are very nice, tho the english is limited for most. ive never had any major issues. but also, i dont get involved in the office gossip/office politics that some do. im involved in very little outside of my own classroom and i think it's why im content.

I know there were some things you said you did not like about CDI, but could not talk about on your blog. Could you tell me what those are? i dont like going to the mandatory meetings (and sometimes i dont go. now that im on my 3rd year there, no one says anything if i dont show up), i dont like some of my coworkers (b/c they're young, whiney, inexperienced, spoiled). a friend of mine got fired and i thought it was unfair (they trained him 2 days, and fired him after 1 month, i think my boss genuinely didnt LIKE him, issues over some GIRL).

Also, my recruiter (Aclipse) has told me I’m eligible for the Master Program pay, which will range from $30-$40 per hour. sounds about right. ive heard that the better the school you come from, the higher the pay. i graduated fm san diego state university and despite my esl experience, i was offered starting pay of 28,000 won an hour.

in your opinion, doesn’t the amount you spend on rent, utilities, cell phone, food, and transportation reduce you back to the original $27,000 a year salary? this depends on your lifestlye. i lived in an officetel which was beautiful, i pay 600,000 won a month in rent, and 120 to 150 a month on maintenace/utilities. now i live in a smaller place, i pay 500,000 won a month, but my utility bill is 20,000 a month. if you eat at outback steakhouse every day, you'll go through mad money. if you eatkorean food, it's much cheaper. ifyou have a lot of party left in you, you'll spend a lot of money on liquor and clubbing. ifyou love gadgets, you may spend all your money on teh latest and greatest iphone, etc. If you always take a taxi, it adds up. If you take the subway, its cheaper (ie, getting home from itaewon is 30,000 won in a taxi, but 2,000 won on the subway). my cellphone bill here. most people save/send home 500USD a month, i would estimate.

If you could answer those for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I’m trying to make an informed decision about what I want to do after graduation, and I don’t want to go into anything blindsure. hit me up anytime. ifyoure on facebook, check the group page, ther eare many other bro & sis to talk to, get other perspectives.

No comments: