links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Wednesday, January 05, 2000

how many hours i work

To: english teacher i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 8:29:15 AM
Subject: Re: i saw your blog

Hey girl, Thanks for getting back so fast....but the internet was down at my workplace today!!! And now i have 3 hours to prepare..I hope you dont mind but I have several more questions to ask you.

1) How on EARTH did you find that theresa that gave you all the stuff??? cuz I was thinking of signing hourly..but its gonna be a bitch for me to get furniture, supplies, etc when I dont speak a lick of Korean.

2) How many hours do you average a month at CDI? I;ve have like 1998837373849955 people telling me not to sign with CDI cuz they are shaddy blah blah and that there are good companies out there...well...CDI has a nice package...I dont think its all that bad. How long til after your phone interview did you get an offer? I didnt use a recruiter..I know you did...I applied directly at CDI's website.

Thanks!!! Oh I have an interview with Aeon too...but its like a 5 hour drive..so I dunno..still debating that korea vs japan thing.

==================
girl, Thanks for getting back so fast....but the internet was down at my workplace today!!! And now i have 3 hours to prepare..I hope you dont mind but I have several more questions to ask you. hey, do me a favor, dont call me girl. its a personal issue ;)

1) How on EARTH did you find that theresa that gave you all the stuff??? teresa was just pure luck. im going to write more about how to furnish a place once someone gets here, i just havent had the time or any important enough info yet. i slept on a mat and had nothing but a blanket for the first month here. cdi, or rather XXX, who got me my apt, wasnt too much help, i just got vague answers to my very specific questions on how to do things. my coworkers got help from friends they had that were already in korea, and by asking the korean staff. i would suggest you bring enough toiletries to last you at least a month, and have patience. your coworkers will be super nice and you can ask them for help. nobody can speak any korean when they first get here, so you're not alone.

2) How many hours do you average a month at CDI? i work 5 days a week, teaching two classes a day, each class is 3 hours long. so... i get paid for 30 hours a week, tho i often come in 45 min early to prepare for class, and that is not paid. this is my one gripe, you only get paid for teaching hours. you dont get paid for prep time, for mandatory meetings either.

I;ve have like 1998837373849955 people telling me not to sign with CDI cuz they are shaddy blah blah and that there are good companies out there...well...CDI has a nice package...I dont think its all that bad. yes, ive heard a lot of negative about cdi too. i cant dispute all of it, this has been my only korea job and i have nothing to compare it to, but i dont regret signing with this school for one second, i love my job here. it is a JOB, tho, you do have papers to grade and lessons to prepare for, and surely other jobs are much easier. for me tho, i like my job here, i find it very rewarding.

How long til after your phone interview did you get an offer? I didnt use a recruiter..I know you did...I applied directly at CDI's website. i think i got an actual offer no more than 3 weeks later? i came to find that cdi decided to hire me straight away, but b/c i couldnt come to korea until 3 months from then, they didnt get back to me for a while. i thought i got another "no" but the recruiter emailed me and said he just had to wait until closer to me leaving before sending me a contract.

Thanks!!! Oh I have an interview with Aeon too...but its like a 5 hour drive..so I dunno..still debating that korea vs japan thing. i cant comment on japan, but i DO for sure plan to work there one day, maybe in couple of years. im really glad things turned out how they did for me and that im in korea now, tho. you can save much more money here. i remember that during the orientation with aeon, you had to do meetings with students and see if they needed to be moved up a level or something, but it made me uncomfortable b/c really it was trying to sell more lessons to the client. at least with cdi, i dont have to bother with that. there are enough students here that i dont have to sell anything. but again, just my opinion.

No comments: