links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

hair

Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 12:35:26 PM
Subject: Here in Seoul

Hey sista...
I have been here one month and am so tired of kimchee(sp).
It seems the only place I see a concentration of diversity if Itaewon.
Visited there twice at night and it was totally off the hook.

Will be looking for work shortly but wanted to find out where a sister can get her hair done or even buy black hair products or shea butter?

I am also looking for a more western-like supermarket. Food is so expensive, seems cheaper to eat out.

Are there any groups black women (expats / wives) who get together monthly for support?

Would really appreciate a response.

Thanks so much.

Scorpion
========================

Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:35:58 AM
Subject: Re: Here in Seoul

Will be looking for work shortly are you looking for a teaching job? are you here on a visitors visa now?

but wanted to find out where a sister can get her hair done or even buy black hair products or shea butter? there is a discussion on where to get hair done, and some critics by people who have visited some places, on facebook. consider joining? as for products, itaewon has a lot of shops/salons owned by africans. have you been during the day? what are you looking for: braids, perms, locs?

I am also looking for a more western-like supermarket. Food is so expensive, seems cheaper to eat out. you have visited lottemart and emart? otherwise there is the foreign food market in itaewon. up the road from kings club.

Are there any groups black women (expats / wives) who get together monthly for support? not officially, but a lot of people have made friends via facebook and myspace, finding people who live in their area.
============================

Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 7:49:01 AM
Subject: Re: Here in Seoul

I will be looking for work probably at the US Embassy or at Samsung. My hubbie works there. I am in the midst of registering my daugther at Yongstan. I visited Itaewon but on the main street not on any of the back streets. I was amazed at all the "wildin" on a Friday and Saturday night.
I was looking for hair perm products, feminine products (douche and tampons - how do you say that in Korean? Ha ha).

Have been to Sortino's, Thai Orchid and Marakkech, can a sister find some Jamaican food, some soul food, even Spanish food....any suggestions?

I was just hoping there were a group of middle-aged black professionals who got together and shot the breeze.

I have run into a few sisters who I believe were connected with the military and they would not even look my way to say hello. What's up with that?

So facebook is a meeting tool with photos I am guessing...probably for folks looking for a date? I hear that the Korean women really go after western men (married or not) here...is that true.

======================
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:02:15 AM
Subject: Re: Here in Seoul

facebook is a "real name" social website. no trolling or dating. you can log in as me, if you'd like, and check it out. And please check out the forums.

facebook.com
log in: ...@....com
password: ....

along some back streets in itaewon are the salons.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/topic.php?uid=25747883752&topic=4303
this page gives some specific salon names and numbers.

you can buy tampons at local grocery stores, like emart or lottemart or costco.

Have been to Sortino's, Thai Orchid and Marakkech, can a sister find some Jamaican food, some soul food, even Spanish food....any suggestions? spanish... i think there is a place in noksapyeong, on the same street as thunder burger, taco, and waffle house. it's called mi madre or something... it's new, ive not been there myself... no jamaican or soul food as far as i know. there are two places that serve west african food, both in itaewon. one is close to the subway, next to the police station. nothing fancy, but they got plantains.

I was just hoping there were a group of middle-aged black professionals who got together and shot the breeze. nothing that i know of that meet officially.

I have run into a few sisters who I believe were connected with the military and they would not even look my way to say hello. What's up with that? i think that b/c the military have each other, AND they live on base (which is like not even being in korea), they dont understand the isolation and the need to connect that the rest of us feel here. they dont try to make friends, b/c they dont have to. also, maybe they get annoyed w/us foreigners always trying to get them to get US on base... im sure they get tired of people alwyas asking for a hook up. but still, i always try to make eye contact and say hello, we're still family.

I hear that the Korean women really go after western men (married or not) here...is that true. i dont know... if so, i wouldnt say it was b/c they're korean women. always in a foreign country, people want the american, hoping they'll be taken to america.
=======================

----- Original Message ----
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2008 9:01:14 AM
Subject: Re: Here in Seoul

Ok - thanks. I will check out the website perhaps later today.

So tell me,how long have you been here, where are you from originally.
How long are you planning on staying.
I live around Yangjae Station.
I am a New Jersey girl originally from New York.
Have you made many friends, are they mostly teachers?

If I cannot find a job, I will volunteer at my daughter's new school and try to make some friends with other parents as well.

I will try to check out that supermarket you spoke of. Once again, behind the Kings Club...? What is that?

Thanks.
============================
Sent: Monday, August 11, 2008 12:33:17 AM
Subject: Re: Here in Seoul

I will check out the website perhaps later today. did you check out facebook? find it ok?

So tell me,how long have you been here, where are you from originally. ive been here a year and half, from southern california.

How long are you planning on staying. meh.... i dont konw. at least until february, when my contract is up.

Have you made many friends, are they mostly teachers? i have, most teachers, some military, majority are black.

I will try to check out that supermarket you spoke of. Once again, behind the Kings Club...? on the same street as kings club, on the same side of the street. it's called the foreign market. people shop there for spices, mac&cheese, etc. But it's not big, it's not fully a western style super market. for that type of thing, you'd need a friend on a military base, who could take you or get you things from the commissary.

No comments: