links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

how soon can i get a job

----- Original Message ----
From: Tracy
To: i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:36:36 PM
Subject: Fan of Your Blog!

Hello! I ran across your blog while doing a little bit of research on teaching abroad. I LOVE your blog!! They are truly informative and are answering a lot of the questions that I have. I am a 28 year old African-American female that has just graduated from law school and I am feeling the urge to finally satisfy my desire to see more of the world. I’ve always wanted to teach abroad, but was afraid of what the experience would hold for me as an African-American woman in some foreign land! YIKES! Anyway, your blog is helping to ease my fears and I will be reading it more extensively in the coming days.

I do have a few questions for you, if you don’t mind…

(1) Does one have to start at any particular time, i.e., the beginning of the school year? If so, when does the school year start? I am REALLY giving this experience great consideration and would like to do it. However, I am currently studying for the bar exam and won’t be taking it until the end of July. I won’t be able to extensively research recruiters and consider offers until after that time. I just want to determine if there is a certain time during which they take applications, etc.

(2) How long did the process take for you (from time of looking for positions, getting your offer, getting all your paperwork in order, etc. to the time you arrived in Korea)? I would like to organize some sort of timeline for myself.

Thanks for your advice and thank you for sharing your experiences!
===========================

Hello! hi tracy.

your blog is helping to ease my fears ah, good im glad :)

(1) Does one have to start at any particular time, i.e., the beginning of the school year? If so, when does the school year start? for public school, yes. but i dont know when, i work for a hogwan (private school, academy) so there wasnt really a start time or stop time. my job starts new classes/new hires every three months.

I am currently studying for the bar exam and won’t be taking it until the end of July. I won’t be able to extensively research recruiters and consider offers until after that time. .then wait until after. korea isn't going anywhere, concentrate on your exam and focus on korea afterward.

(2) How long did the process take for you (from time of looking for positions, getting your offer, getting all your paperwork in order, etc. to the time you arrived in Korea)? im not familair with the new visa laws and how/if they've affected the timetable for getting a job. a year and a half ago, you would put out your resume and get a job offer within days, w/employers specifically asking "how soon can you get here?" it took me 6 months total, but actually getting hired and arranging when i would come was weeks. maybe days.
http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2006/11/korean-embassy.html
http://theblackeslteacher.blogspot.com/2000/01/how-soon-can-i-get-job.html

No comments: