links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

no degree = no legal job

To: i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:35:36 AM
Subject: Curious... have a question....

Annyong Haseyo/Chal Chinaessoyo Supa Dupa Fly Seoul Sista!

For persons without a degree, does Korea have positions such as "Teacher Assistant"? In Jan/Feb 2005 I visited Aeon (I think) and Nova. They were impressed with my articulation, and didn't believe I didn't possess a degree. Had the economy been better one of them would have hired me. But, unfortunately for me, I let a series of things (large debt, idealistic dreams, hobbies, dating) delay me from returning to school and actually "getting that piece of paper".

Currently, I'm studying Korean (self-studying, that is), and my job as a draftsperson/IT support is hourly and billable, as in accounting-firm/law-office-like billing. I don't get paid for "being here". I have to log my activities that translate to what my pay check will look like.

I've dated two Koreans (once in 1988 and recently) and now I just feel famished, devoid without much chance to actually LIVE in Korea, not just go visit on a 3-month visa. I despise politicians who keep up these "mutual" situations that cause 'merkuns to be limited to 90-day visas... well, I digress.

If I ever visit Korea, I'd like to go knowing I could in advance apply for a teaching assistant position that doesn't require a degree. Then, once there (assuming the English-teaching system doesn't despise non-degree individuals) I could be locally evaluated and permitted to work as a teaching assistant.

I enjoy a variety of Korean films:

DVDs I have:
SilmidoShiri
JSA
Gwoemul
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Oldboy
Lady Vengeance
3-Iron
Natural City
Noksaek uija (Green Chair)
Sasaeng gyeoldan (Bloody Tie)
Seuseung-ui eunhye (To Sir With Love)
(Bloody Reunion) Suchwiin bulmyeong (Address Unknown)
+ 1 or 2 more I can't for some reason remember----

DVDs I Have Seen:

2009:
Lost Memories
The Isle
Save the Green Planet
Guns & Talks
The King and the Clown
Guns & Talks
The President's Last Bang
My Brother
Taegukgi
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
Another Public Enemy (had the disc before though...)
Memories of Murder (Salinui chueok) (also used to have this disc)

Films I Want to see:
Yeopgijeogin geunyeo (My Sassy Girl)
Saibogujiman kwenchana (I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK)
Jopog Manura (My Wife is a Gangster)
Cheongchun-manhwa (Almost Love)
Kidari ajeossi (Daddy-Long-Legs)
Gonggongui jeog (Public Enemy)
Probably 15-20 others...

So, hopefully, I won't do anything to get my 42-year-old ass face-slapped like in the films/movies. And, for the sheer hell of it, I dare say I want to visit the north, just to say I've had my feet there. It's not as if it's 1958 or 1963 or something where I'd be susceptible to, ummm, hehehe, "blackmail...."

Besides, I'm 42, and other than 3 months in Tokyo from Dec 04-Feb 05, and other than a few months OUTUS in the USN (I served 84-88), I think I've lived LONG ENOUGH in the CONUS, and I want to live a number of years elsewhere. Earth is too big to live it in one place only. Maybe I'll even pick up enough Hangul to possibly benefit attending night college courses for adults (if such things exist in Korea...)

Any insight, Supa Dupa Fly Seoul Sista?David/ReincarnatedAsian/Cheon Hyoon-Dae/(and other aliases)

Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 5:23:58 PM
Subject: Re: Curious... have a question....
Hi David.


to legally teach in korea, you must have a university degree. sorry. BUT that's not to say many dont come here anyway and live alright teaching private lessons on the side. i dont know much about them (b/c it's illegal) but word around town is that 50$ USD an hour is standard fee that people charge koreans. also, you can contact a recruiter and let them know upfront that you dont have a degree; they can still maybe get you side jobs where youre paid in cash under the table. again, i dotn know much about it b/c i dont do the privates, have you checked eslcafe? people on that forum are overall full of drama, but i learned quite a bit before i got here to korea http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/ read the FAQ and i think there is a forum specifically to discuss privates. hope this helps. ~supa fly

update: 4 year degree no longer a requirement for some jobs. posted here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this might be changed, coming in fall, you may not need the degree anymore to teach in korea:

http://blog.galbijim.com/?p=84