links i find vital

where it all started for me! (btw it starts off with like a min of music)
http://www.filefactory.com/file/c0b6c4f/n/metro_025_black_in_korea_2.mp3
a seoul radio station interview about bssk
http://www.zshare.net/audio/94134128ba8ecd63/
a bunch of interviews with black expats in soko
http://www.youtube.com/user/BSSKSEXIES
find family on facebook: Brothas&Sistas of South Korea
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=25747883752

Saturday, January 01, 2000

get your passport already, dont wait.

To: i_teach_esl@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:06:27 AM
Subject: your advice would be helpful

Hi,
My name is K and I have been offered a position to teach English in S. Korea with CDI. Your website has calmed a lot of my fears. You answered some of the questions I have and even answered questions I didn't have. At this moment I am in the process of being selected for a school and I'm collecting the documents for my VISA. I want to wait on my passport because I want to speak to more people and have my questions answered before I spend the $100.
Based on your blogs you seem to really like teaching there. Is there any advise you can offer at this stage in my preparation?
Hopefully when I get there I we can meet.
Thanks,
K
============================================

Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 10:01:07 PM
Subject: Re: your advise would be helpful

I have been offered a position to teach English in S. Korea with CDI. coo, when will you be here?

Your website has calmed a lot of my fears. You answered some of the questions I have and even answered questions I didn't have. im glad. :) there's another sister who works for cdi who left this on my blog, maybe you can email her too if you have other questions or want another opinion:

I have been here in Seoul for nearly 2 years and have only worked for CDI. I renewed my contract; I love it so much. I work for a third-leg of CDI called a "Branchise." It basically houses the pros and cons of both a Branch and a Franchise.

But let me first tell you what I love:

- I am always paid on time.

- Everything is usually, if not always, organized.

- Our school/business takes care of all and any outside needs (house bills, medical care, cell phone bill usage, and etc.) This may only apply to our location.

- With all CDI's, there is a competent staff of Korean Desk Teachers - with University Degrees - to assist with everything.

- It operates like a corporation, so there is a hefty chain of command, should you need it.

- The product is growing daily and they exist in Canada, are expanding to China, and the R&D - Research and Development - Department is housed in New York.

- The salaries typically start at 2.8 million won per month. But many are over 3 million. We receive bonuses often. And we receive a raise when renewing the contract.

- And about the curriculum, it is a strict paradigm. But depending on your location, you bring your personality and outside materials to teach as you choose, in conjunction with the material. My location allows for this openness.

P.S. I, too, am a Sista - Seoul Sista!

Feel free to e-mail me, if you'd like more insight into CDI -- which I didn't provide here.

taliaeashley@yahoo.com


At this moment I am in the process of being selected for a school im not sure, but i think that you wont know which cdi branch you'll be at until after training.

I want to wait on my passport because I want to speak to more people and have my questions answered before I spend the $100. are you black? sister, we as black people are global, we have family throughout the diaspora. get the passport now. maybe you wont use it for korea, but who knows, maybe you'll use it to go to panama or some shit in 3 yrs.
Based on your blogs you seem to really like teaching there. Is there any advise you can offer at this stage in my preparation? will i advise you by giving you advice... everyone asks me this question, im never sure how to answer. i advise you try to learn the korean alphabet. try to go to some korean restaraunts to learn about some of the foods. watch korean movies to get a taste of the culture.
Hopefully when I get there I we can meet. sure. have facebook? it's the most active of the groups:
to find more of us in seoul:
myspace: http://groups.myspace.com/seoulbrothasandsistas
blackplanet: http://groups.blackplanet.com/seoul

No comments: